As a developer, you may want to know What’s new in Microsoft .NET 6.0? Recently announcing .NET 6.0 Preview 1. Microsoft .NET 6.0 is a large set of new experiences and capabilities and the final part of the .NET unification plan that started with .NET 5.
The heart of .NET 6 is delivering the final parts of the .NET unification plan that started with .NET 5.
Microsoft .NET 6 provides the capability to build the app that you want to build, for the platform you want to target, and on the operating systems, you want to use for the development. Microsoft .NET 6 will integrate capabilities for Android, iOS, and macOS that currently reside in the Xamarin open-source mobile .NET platform.
Microsoft planed .NET 6 will be released in November 2021 and provide Long Term Support release for the three years. As compare to .NET 5 Microsoft expanded the platform matrix and include additional platform like
- Mac and Mac Catalyst, for x64 and Apple Silicon “M1”.
- Windows Arm64 (specifically Windows Desktop).
Great news for Xamarin Developers. Developers using Xamarin today will be able to start using .NET 6 with Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms projects. Microsoft will provide a conversion tool and migration guides to help you transition to using .NET 6.
Important improvements in .NET 6.0 Preview 1
- Support Blazor desktop apps that enable you to create hybrid client apps, which combine web and native UI in a native client application.
- A fast inner loop will enable us to skip the build altogether, enabling your code edits to be applied to a live process without restarting it.
- Support Arm64 includes Windows Arm64 machine and Apple Silicon (Arm64) chips (native and emulated).
- Improve scaling in containers, and better support
- Added new math APIs
- Improved support for Windows ACLs (Access Control Lists)
Download .NET 6.0 Preview 1
To download .NET 6.0 Preview 1 please visit this Github link: Download Now. This download includes the .NET Runtime and ASP.NET Core Runtime. Hosting stand-alone apps on Windows Servers includes the ASP.NET Core Module for IIS and can be installed separately on servers without installing .NET Runtime.
After installation of .NET 6.0 Preview 1, you can execute the below command to check the dotnet version:
$ dotnet --version 6.0.100-preview.1.21103.13
Please visit the link for more details: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/6.0